Sunday, July 29, 2012

A week in Texas

This past week I (Ryan) went to San Antonio for a conference on a method for treating people with PTSD.  I really like San Antonio, and Texas in general, and think I could live there.  It's got a style all of its own including a different road system and great belief in its own importance.  I like the Hispanic influence everywhere.  I ended up going there without the family and I used my spare time to exercise, read, be lazy and look around.  The temperature was mild and the humidity was great.

Her are a few of pictures from the trip:





The San Antonio LDS Temple is beautiful, sitting on the top of a hill around a planned community. The Stone its made out of is a dark gray, and it is decorated with stained glass windows that depict the Tree of Life and the Sacred Grove.

 The River walk is great.  Lots of fun places to eat and shop around the sides of a man made river.  The place reminds me of Disneyland.

 This Cathedral  (Cathedral of San Fernando) downtown was pretty and it had the remains of Davey Crocket and some Bowie guy (Not Ziggy Stardust) and some other big Texas guy.  I really don't see why the Alamo was a big deal and I guess thats why I am not a Texan.  To me the Alamo matters a lot more because its the place Pee-Wee Herman was looking for his bike in the movie and its where Ozzy Osbourne got arrested in the 80's.  I did get sam a fake raccoon skin cap which he calls his "Squirrel tail hat,"  to help Sam "Remember the Alamo."



To make my trip there completeI had to try Whataburger.  Iv'e been to Texas a lot before, but this place was actually pretty good-made fresh fast food.
Fun to be in Texas but missed the family andI'm glad to be back home with them.

No comments: