Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Folks

We have no friends:

#1. Because we left such great ones behind, no one can compare.
#2. We are in a new area.
#3. We are pretty anti-social.
#4. I think it is harder to find a couple that we both enjoy.
#5. My R.S. president told me that some people won't bother to get to know us because we are apartment renters, therefore, not permanent. And she informed us that we could NEVER afford a house in ward boundaries. Ouch.

Since we don't have any friends here, we have to ship them in. My mom and dad came up for the weekend. Not only do they say and do all the right things, but we got to hang out with friends. We got to all the normal things that friends do: play games, go hiking, tour museums, try new restaurants, listen to conference together and have heart to hearts. I was devastated when they left.

So, we are ready for our next visitors. Anyone?

5 comments:

Jared and Laurel said...

Special! If you could twinkle us over, we'd come in a heartbeat. However, after flying last weekend we need a break. A really big one. But you're always welcome in Provo!

Trace Gibson said...

Oh, oh, pick ME! I want to come visit! Let's be honest, friends are over-rated. As a military wife who moves and moves and offers service and cookies and babysitting to every new neighbor and ward member (oh yeah, and free personal training--THERE'S a nice perk, right?), I've come to realize that some people just don't make good friends, and never will. A good friend is hard to find, and that's just not you're fault. Seriously, Adam and I have decided if people don't "add to" our lives as a family (you know, positive good people who are funny or good examples or what-not...then it's time to "clean house") Plus the friends that really matter are your best friend/husband, your immediate family and parents, and the rest are "extras." If people are worth keeping in touch with then you will. I need to be more discerning in who I reach out to with my super-awesome friendship. Time to be a snob. Ha ha. I TOTALLY get the whole, "Oh, you won't be staying here long, we'll we won't bother getting to know you or caring about you." Yeah, story of a military life. Whatever--their loss. Oh yeah, and P.S.-- I don't think I'd be too fond of a Relief Society president who "let me know" I'd never afford a house in her area. What a goon! Ummm, I'm embarrassed, cause my "comment" turned into a soap box epistle. Sorry!

Emily said...

WOW, your relief society president actually said that? that's rough!! I think it means you need to move back. I'm sure there are pleny of spine-related jobs in LA! And if that doesn't work, pencil me in for a vist in August 2008.

Evan said...

I too would volunteer to be an imported friend! I have a wife too!

Considering I man-dated Ryan, and home-taught Cheyn I think I'm the best qualified. Import us! I would love to escape LA.

And tell your RS pres that you are coming from LA where your apartment would sell for $850K if you sold it as a condo. Don't let her pessimism get to you.

j and s (but mainly s) said...

so this is completely random, but I saw that you posted on the seriously so blessed blog that you were married to a social worker. i am a social worker and i thought that was interesting so i clicked on your blog. then i realized you lived in raleigh and you are pretty new to the area. my husband and i recently moved to raleigh, too. what ward are you in??