Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The SPINE



I have hesitated writing about my job basically because I didn't know what the crap I was doing. It is my first job as a nurse practitioner and a total career change. I have been an R.N. working mostly with pediatrics and now I am all about THE SPINE. Did I mention that I knew NOTHING about the spine. The job is at UNC in Chapel Hill which is a great opportunity that I couldn't pass up, so now I am trying to learn everything. It is pretty intimidating to try to read MRI's, learn all the pathophysiology, and keep up with 2 surgeons. I basically work in a clinic in the hospital trying to weed out surgical candidates. It is difficult dealing with people in pain, much of it chronic. I hope I don't become jaded and evil. "Oh, it is just neck pain! No radiating symptoms into your arms? GET OUT, your wasting my time!!!" But I am learning a ton. The perks of the job have been watching surgeries. Orthopaedic surgeons are the carpenters of surgery. Today I watched the surgeon hammer a nail in a lady's back and vertebrae, fill the collapsed vertebrae with balloon to pump it back up and fill the space with cement. (Kyphoplasty) Pretty cool. The really crazy part was the lady was AWAKE during the procedure. Maybe one day I will get to scrub in. I don't know how I will contribute?
So, now I am thinking about the spine night and day. My dreams haunt me by quizzing me on the dermatomes! It is slowly getting better. At least good enough to admit on our blog what my job is.

3 comments:

Jared and Laurel said...

Wow. I admire you!

Trace Gibson said...

Oh my...I'm glad that all they could come up with for fixing the back is stuff like NAILS and CEMENT! ha ha So, you and Laurel and Jared should get together and watch Discovery Health channel with some popcorn! I'm glad there are people out there as smart as you and not as squeamish as me. Otherwise surgeries just wouldn't happen.

Renee said...

Congrats!! I'm so excited to finally hear about the new gig. I'm so proud of you and have been dying to the details. Before you know it you'll be pouring the cement yourself!!