Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Mt Airy and Old Salem

Cheyn's parents were here visiting for a week and one of our adventures was a trip to Mt. Airy where Andy Griffith was born and grew. Mt. Airy resembles Mayberry as places in the show are based on locations in and around town. There are also places that have been named after the show, impersonators and museums. Here are a couple pictures of the us with Andy and Opie.



One of the cool things about the town was their general museum where I learned two things.


1. Where the OG Siamese Twins settled when they got bored with the circus.



2.How to make Moonshine.
Mt Airy is near the Appalachian Mountains so their was an exhibit to the official drink of Hillbillies.

After that, we went to the old part of Winston-Salem. They have a really cool old town that reminded me of Colonial Williamsburg. The area was settled by Moravian Church and has since merged with Winston. They were able to preserve a lot of the buildings and had cute gift shops and such. It was a great place for a stroll. We recommend stopping by if you are ever passing through.



6 comments:

Monica Rich said...

Ok, the Bunker twins married and had children? Soooooo weird.

The town looks lovely.

ridgeandjenny said...

Even weirder, they shared the same bed, rotated houses, had copious amounts of children, and were attached by a fold of skin on their torsos!!!! I think Chang died first, and then creepily Ang held on for a while and died shortly after. Shudder...

Wendy said...

Good answer, Cheyney! The #1 reason to visit a cool place always ties back to moi.

I'm so kidding. I probably need to watch the fine line of sarcasim that I often fall off of!

Looks like a fun day! You saw a lot in just a day. And what fun to have your parents with you for a week!

Anonymous said...

Fun place! Too bad they quit doing tours of the RJR tobacco plant-- that was interesting.

Luis and Christy said...

See Old Salem was a turning point for me in my life. I (sadly) realized what a vapid person I can be about thing historical.

That little village really annoyed me more than anything and I didn't like the outfits. I tried Lord knows I tried to engage myself with all of the facts.

Finally I acknowledged my "vapidity" and used it for evil when I swiped a hunk of leather from that shoe-making store while the guy was going on and on about whatever.

Sorry, I am not your historically engaged friend.

Renee said...

I need to come visit you guys so I can check out all of these fun places with you!! Miss you tons!