Monday, October 19, 2009

See You Later Dorothy!

The past two years and some months I (Ryan) worked as a Social Worker at the State Psychiatric Hospital. During my time there I worked on the crisis unit. I got to help a lot of people who had hit rock bottom or needed to be hospitalized for their own or others safety. I have tons of great stories from my time there. I learned a lot about drugs, Psychiatric illness, and lots of places and services in North Carolina.

I think what I will miss most as I move on is my co-workers. I work with a lot of cool Psychiatrists, PCP's, RN's, and Social Workers. It kind of fun to spend the day chatting with a fun psychiatrist all day talking about human behavior and treatment. We also get a lot of time to talk about college football, tell stories, and de-stress from some of the patients we are trying to work with.

My social work supervisors and other coworkers have been great as well. I keep in touch with some of them that have left already and they have been a blessing to us moving to a new area two years ago. We usually meet up for dinner every other month.

I've accepted a job working at another hospital in the area and my last day at Dorothea Dix Hospital will be on thursday.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

What a rewarding career you have, Ry. I'm excited to hear about your new job.