Sunday, January 30, 2011

Ryan's Atlanta conference goes from good to bad

I (Ryan) had a conference in Atlanta a few weeks ago that I was totally looking forward to for months. I was looking forward to great food, fun places to visit, catching up with friends, and enjoying that nice southern weather. I landed at the airport and was given this sweet rental car:


I was able to meet up with the Thompsons and the Johnsons and play some board games which was great. Then as I got ready to leave for my hotel the snow started. I drove through the snow just as it was hitting and arrived safely at the hotel where my conference was held.

Atlanta has like one snow plow and a few inches of snow and freezing weather turned the city into a hockey rink for the next three days. Gas stations were closed. Grocery stores were close. Even Mcdonalds were closed. I wouldn't be writing this right now if it weren't for the determined management and workers at the Waffle House next to my hotel that provided sustenance. For you readers that haven't been to the South, Waffle House is a hybrid of a Dennys and tiled truck stop bathroom.


My Father in Law Stan stopped by for a night and it was fun to visit with him. WE made it out to a cheesecake Factory about a mile away that was still open for some reason.

The next day, just as the sun started to melt the ice I decided to go try some Georgia BBQ and use some per diem at Jim and Nick's. It was so tasty and I loved it but four hours later I was wishing I had eaten at the Waffle House again, because the next two days were spent trying to get over mild food poisoning.

The next day I tried to go to the Coke Factory but the roads were still closed in parts and the traffic was bad so after driving for an hour I turned around as the attraction had closed. By this time I was missing Cheyney and Sam, tired and cold, and sick. I made it through the conference sessions in the day time. I love you Atlanta but it was a rough week.

On the way home I did have a great 4 hour layover in SLC where I got to see my Parents and Wendy and Justin's family.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

What a cruddy week to travel. Glad we got to see you.