Saturday, May 20, 2017

Metz France and the Maginot Line


I told my parents that we were headed to Metz France and they said that we traveled there when I was 11 years old.  Unfortunately, I did not remember it.  They recommended touring the Maginot Line.  I wasn't familiar with this but apparently we did that when I was 11 too.  We loved being in Metz, France as it is such a beautiful city with an amazing cathedral and castle and swans dotting the river.  We even got to eat some crepes and bagets.   I love hearing french.  

The Maginot Line was pretty incredible.  France built an extensive interconnected underground forts with over 100 km of tunnels to protect themselves from the Germans.  They kept their artillery here and had turrets for machine guns and other heavy artillery.  My grandfather crossed the Maginot line during his mission and wrote in his journal about it.  In the end, the Maginot failed as Germany went through Belgium. 


















Maginot Line





The bunkers had multiple beds with 8 hour rotating shifts, on-site surgery, and kitchens to make meals for all the soldiers.  They also brought in ventilated air and had a railway and telephone system. 





Turret





No comments: