Saturday, March 8, 2008

Saturday Sushi



For Valentines this year Cheyn got me a Sushi making kit and recipe book. I've been thinking about trying to make sushi rolls for a while and drew inspiration from a friend who tried it last year. This morning I realized it was time to get in touch with my Japanese side and try it myself. I went to the Asian market down the street and stocked up. I got rice, rice vinegar, seaweed, ginger, imitation wasabi, some miso soup mix and a dish to put soy sauce in. I then headed off to the grocery store and picked up green onions, chives, soy sauce, cream cheese, and salmon and an avocado.

I never realized that rice vinegar was used in the process. Vinegar is used as a dressing for the rice with a little salt and sugar added. You also use the vinegar as a lubricant so that the rice doesn't stick to your hands or the knife when laying out the rice and cutting the roll. I think the hardest part of the whole process was rolling it. The first and third roll looked good. I wanted to use my hands but should have relied more on the bamboo roller on the second roll. I tried the seaweed on the outside on the first two rolls and on the inside on the third.

I ended up making a plain salmon roll, a salmon avacado roll with chives, and a Philadelphia roll. Cheyn helped and it did end up tasting just like the restaurants. For sure when we go out to sushi next time we will be watching and eating with a more technical mind. I think it took about 50 bucks to completely set up for making rolls at home. Hereafter I bet I can now make a meal for two to four for about ten bucks. I'll have to get adventuresome after this and use tuna, eel, yellow tail, or soft shell crab. I also want to add the fish eggs but wonder where to get them.

Domo Arigato for the present Cheyn!

5 comments:

Luis and Christy said...

Ryan, I got Luis a Sushi making toolkit as well but I've always been a little shady of sushi made from people without liability insurance. You two should create together... I'll probably just eat the miso soup tho.

Monica Rich said...

Nice job, Ry. Didn't think you were into cooking. Adam and I think fondly of you when we have nachos. Our nachos & Clean Flicks nights were the best back in Provo. Hope to see you soon!

Renee said...

I'm so glad to see that the sushi turned out so well. Beautiful presentation, for sure. I'm looking forward to my next sushi night. You'll have to give me hints on how you plan to cut costs. Wish we could sushi it up together again! Maybe someday :)

Jessica said...

Awesome! I love the dishes you have! And miso soup... yum... you're making me crave sushi and soup for lunch!!!

Grandpa Webb said...

I wish you a happy anniversary. I enjoyed your video and the latest things you are doing.