Monday, April 27, 2009

The Lengthen Your Stride 5k

The Church put on a 5k this past Saturday. In order to enter you had to donate at least ten items of food or ten dollars each to go to the local food bank. The announcer said that over a thousand people entered the 5k.

At church most of the people we know are from the primary. Here is Cheyney giving some pre-race advice to one of the kids from our primary class
Here are some of the littler runners from primary:
Like most things Mormon, the event was well organized, family friendly, and a bit late getting going.
Reluctantly crouched at the starting line

Cheyn set the pace. She runs more often than I do. She told me during the race that it was 'nice that I would stay back' and run with her. In actuality, I have a fast wife I can barely keep up with. At the end I felt like I wanted to die. We finished the 5k at 27:22 and 27:23.


DSC_5445

8 comments:

Wendy said...

28 minutes!?!?! That is AWESOME! The only 5K I've finished in under 30 minutes was the 4th of July race in Provo, and the only reason it was my best time is because they got the course wrong and the distance was much less than a 5K. Figures.

Looks like an awesome idea.

Sara said...

Engines pumping and thumping in time. (or something like that)

Amelia said...

Way to go! This sounds like so much fun. I think our stake should do this!

Jamie said...

I want my church to put on a 5K. Sounds fun!

Kari said...

I agree!! Cheyney is the fastest runner/jogger/hicker that I've ever tried to keep up with. I still remember her leaving me and a silly longlegged friend in the dust on the trail in the Grand Canyon. But I knew that would happen, I had just hiked Havasupai with her!!!

Jared and Laurel said...

Cool! I like that name...it's what helps me when I can't keep up with Jared. Actually, the youth in our ward (which means the YW leaders) are hosting a 5K in a month and I was just out today, scouting out donors. Hooray for 5Ks!

Renee said...

look at you pullin' it out in the end...always gotta win don't ya?

i've committed to running the bolder boulder this year...which is a 10K. jogging/walking is more like it, but i've started taking little walk/jogs around a park by my house in preparation. believe it or not, i think my lungs like running in colorado better than any other place!! weird! apparently i like thin air and no oxygen.

Nicole said...

i admire people who can run!! I get winded just thinking about it!!