Tuesday, April 14, 2009

We Love To Fly And It Shows


I (Ryan) totally have a crush on Delta airlines right now, so don't mind if I brag and swoon over our experience. Earlier this month we took a trip to Utah and should be posting some stuff on that soon. But the coolest thing happened on the day we flew out.

We got up at four and made our way to the airport. As the flight was loading, Delta announced that they overbooked and asked for two volunteers to be rescheduled... We sat there for a bit and then it looked like we missed our chance. A few people got in line before we could. Long story short, they couldn't find an alternate flight for them, and we got our turn.

We were going to have a layover in Cincinnati and Denver and get there at around one.

Instead we got there at four but got all this:
  • One layover in DFW where we got to visit with our friend and her cute new baby
  • 400$ of delta credit each
  • breakfast and lunch vouchers
  • First class form Dallas to SLC. We got a Twix bar and a banana in first class, and the flight attendants treated us extra nice too. We sat in wider cushier seats as well.
On our flight back I was eager and ready to pounce like a cat if they announced, to get more perks, but no dice.

Any one else ever have something cool like this happen to them when traveling?

7 comments:

Jessica said...

We've never had it work out. After a few trips from Seattle to Phoenix we learned that they always had offers on the way back. Before we always had to be back on time but the one time we planned to not have to be back, they didn't need anyone to switch flights. Hopefully we'll have better luck another time.

Wendy said...

So cool! I've never been that lucky.

Emily said...

Twix even?!? Score! I have never been that lucky, but one time I did sit in coach right next to the flight attendants little kitchen where they were making fresh cookies for the first class people. It was basically torture.

Renee said...

That explains why I never heard from nor saw you guys...I was pretty bummed and assumed the friendship was over...but now I see the light. How lucky!! I've gotten a free southwest voucher before...but nothing as snazzy wazzy as all that!!

Amanda said...

When Ryker worked for the airlines I loved getting bumped up to first class...it is definitely the way to go and they were especially accomadating when I was pregnant, but once the baby was born they kicked me way far back! Glad you got to have such a fun expierence! Also, thanks for your sweet comment on my blog!

Jamie said...

I love stories like that.

I volunteered once for a four hour delay and in return I got $1000 voucher, also Delta, although it was pre-9/11 days. Got my trip to Europe free with leftover $.

Kari said...

I am so glad that this worked out like it did. What a wonderful suprise it was to have you fly in and get to meet Olivia. Hope the rest of your trip went so well!