Saturday, September 30, 2017

Versaille France

I met April in Paris.  I will add my email to my folks about this trip.


Dearest mommy and daddy,

It was the craziest struggle to get to the temple on time.  We had to switch initiatories to the night and endowment to the morning because initiatories started a little later and gave us more time.  Because I had to take a later train we decided to get the bikes and take them on the metro to Versailles and bike back to Paris.  It was such a crazy trip to travel with bikes on the metro. Going down stairs, falling down stairs, going up escalators, finding elevators, Cramming in elevators, fitting on the metro train,  and getting out of the metro.  I am sure it would have been funny if someone was videoing us.  But we made it to the temple at exactly 7:30 pm when the initiatories started.  We had no time to change into our skirts and just went in and changed into temple clothes.  

The temple housing is free but you bunk with a total of 6 women.  We  got up and got ready to go to the endowment session.  I was ready early and decided to go in early.  The temple President was shaking everyone's hand as they entered.  
You know who the president is but I forgot.   I read his name and thought it sounded familiar.  I shook his head and said, "Do you know Stan Webb?  He is my father." 
He immediately gave me a hug.  
Pres Giraud-Carrier said he has been trying to contact you but hasn't heard back.  He took me to his office and I gave him mom's email.  Then we met his wife and she had been helping with the initiatories the night before but I didn't read her name.  We hugged and cried.  We talked about how you were in the Congo with the Bahraels.  They wanted me to tell you they love you and are so thankful for you.  I told them that I would bring you back to the temple to see them.  I just felt like the huge hassle to get there and the need to do the endowment session in the morning was all so I could see Pres. Giraud-Carrier and have this miraculous encounter.  I was overwhelmed with my pride that Stan Webb is my dad.  50 years ago you served a mission and impacted this family that has 7 children and is now the temple president.  Just think about where the people and families in the Congo will be in 50 years.  I believe that they will remember the name Webb when they think of their journey and what made them strong in the gospel.  

It was just a miracle.  I am so grateful.  Also, the temple session is fabulous in French.

We then biked to Versailles and went to the petite trillion, hamlet and grand trillion first.  Then to the main palace.  I love the hamlet so much.  I love imagining Marie Antionette living there.  The crowds were not bad and biking on the grounds was fabulous.  

We had to hurry on our way and get the bikes back to the shop.  It was fun biking through Versailles City and trying to imagine mom living in one of these places.  We biked through great big wooded parks and by a chateau, and into Paris. We rode by the arc de triumph, Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, Norte dame, and along the seine.  It was awesome but riding on the streets with buses and cars and some cobblestone streets was a little stressful.  I had on my helmet but still had a little PTSD.  

The bike ride from Versailles to the bike shop was about 20 km but we probably ended biking 20 miles and walking 14 miles that day.  We didn't have time for breakfast or lunch and just grabbed some fruit and chocolate from a grocery store and then finally got dinner a 9 pm.  I got escargot, duck, cheese, and Creme brûlée.

Today is drizzle rain and we walked around notre dame, Shakespeare and Co. bookstore and the Pantheon.  We only had an hour and 1/2.  We are now on the train back.  

Ryan took the kids swimming and to a movie yesterday.  They are making artwork for april right now.  
He is such a great dad.  

I love you and miss you so much!  
Choochoo


I have been obsessed with Marie Antionette for years and LOVE her Hamlet at Versaille.  She wanted to "live like the peasants" and had it built on the palace grounds.  It was perfect to ride bikes all over the grounds and was a beautiful day. 









The Grand Trianon
for Louis XIV




The Grand Trion

VERSAILLE







No comments: