Friday, August 10, 2007

Elder Faust


A great man died early this morning.
I was just thinking about how much I admire Elder Faust as I read his empathetic and pertinent message about singles in the Ensign this past week. He always seemed so caring and aware. Such a strong vibrant faithful man. A few memories:
I remember one Christmas time I bought a book on Elder Faust for a sibling or parent. The book was part biography and the other part was his conference addresses. I ended up reading the whole thing before giving it away. He was an important part of Utah politics in the State Legislator (Democrat incidentally). He served in Brazil and was well loved by the people down there, as well as receiving an honor from the government. I remember his talks are humble, aware, and sincere.
One of my favorite MTC memories was in June of 1997 when he came to speak to the missionaries. He felt bad for the missionaries in the overflow (where my district was situated) so he came over greeted us and wept. He was about ten feet away and the spirit he brought was undeniable. You just feel love being around him and for me he exemplifies the core message of the gospel.
He will be missed.

3 comments:

Trace Gibson said...

Wow, how awesome that you have that cool memory/experience with Elder Faust at the M.T.C.! Thanks for sharing.

Dora said...

I don't remember much about when President Faust initially came into the first presidency, but I've grown very fond of him over the last few years. I'm sad for myself that he has gone on.

Evan said...

That was what he was... aware. I've been trying to think of the exact word the last two days, so I'm glad you came up with it.

He just seemed to be so aware of what was happening, so sympathetic to people's situations, and most importantly so reassuring that there was a plan.