Sunday, August 26, 2007

The End of Summer/Summer Movies

Summer is slowly heading towards its end. I have mixed feelings about it ending. We have lived in three places this summer: Bainbridge, GA, Fredricksburg, VA, and Raleigh NC. The past eight weeks we have been living apart and meeting up when we can. It will be nice to live in the same place again.

Come August the summer drags a little. Raleigh has been over a hundred degrees many of the days and when you add the humidity it gets pretty intense. You have to exercise in the gym, and you get big power bills for air conditioning in your apartment. Its hard living apart from Cheyn.

I will miss some things about this summer. I enjoy the long days with lots of light after work. I like summer concert series and nights out, even though we only ended up going to one such event (Eddie Money on Fayetteville street).

We saw a lot of movies this summer, more than average for both of us: Shrek,
Pirates of the Caribbean,Sicko,Transformers,The Simpsons,The Bourne Ultimatum,
Cheyn also saw the latest Harry Potter movie with her Mom.

My top two recommendations are:


The Bourne Ultimatum:
I love all three of the series. I enjoy how the movies are filmed on location, so you feel like you are really able to see the surroundings in Europe, Russia, and India. The filming is gritty and more realistic and now seems to act as a standard to the current action genre.(James Bonds recent film makeover seemed to be influenced by the first two Bourne films). I also enjoy the picks of great character actors to play government officials in all of the movies. You would think by the third installment of the film, people would have figured out you just can't kill Jason Bourne.


Sicko:
Michael Moore is pretty polarizing, but his films sure are entertaining. I felt he reaches too far trying to laud Cuba, and tries to sell a socialized government system (France), which doesn't set well with a lot of Americans (especially those in the middle or on the the right politically). I for one was quite jealous on the vacation time and other social and medical support in France. You leave the film a bit empowered thinking something can be done to make health care a little better for all of us, especially for those stuck in the middle. With Romney proposing his health care initiative from Mass. for the nation and Clinton and her past attempt at improving the health care system, hopefully something could happen soon.

What are your favorite movies of the summer? Post in the comments. I would love to see if we missed anything entertaining.

4 comments:

Evan said...

Go see Ratatouille! That movie was just awesome. I keep calling it a perfect movie and even after weeks to fall out of love with it, I haven't.

I want to see Fracture (which could be a heckuva rental), and The Simpsons Movie. I'll let you know how they are.

Oh, and my brother thought Hairspray was good... he's adopted... or at least I think he is after he said that.

Jared and Laurel said...

hmm, I watched Peter Pan a lot this summer...oh, wait, that's not new! Man, we gotta get a babysitter.

Anonymous said...

Just saw "King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters." It's a documentary about the world record holders in classic arcade games like Donkey Kong. It sounds like it could be lame, but you get really into it. The characters are unreal--I have a hard time believing they didn't make some of it up! You'll enjoy it.

Paul
P.S. Go Cougs!

ginny said...

Loooooove the Bourne Ultimatum. Or maybe I just love Jason Bourne. My favorite part of every Bourne movie is the fact that, even when involved in a high speed chase, Jason is consulting a map.

Go see Becoming Jane--oh, unless you are a blooming spinster like me, in which case, DON'T see it until you've preordered your cyanide pills.