Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Watching the primaries from the sidelines

I'm pretty much addicted to election news right now. Cheyney and I talk about candidates before we go to sleep, watch results on the computer regularly, and religiously listen to NPR on the radio and through podcasts to get our needed fix. I love election year and feel like this is such an exciting election with the candidates so curious and personalities so distinct, who needs the writers strike to end? North Carolina doesn't get their day in the sun until May 06, 2008, so were just watching from the sidelines and are not able to vote yet like most of you already have.

A few thoughts (Ryan):

1. I feel like the choices are great. In 04 I voted Kerry but wasn't enthused. This year I am excited about most candidates. I don't mind McCain's politics as much as his irritability.

2. My thoughts on Romney have been all over. At first I was curious, then interested, then disenchanted. Mostly now I just feel bad for him. He is so disliked by the other candidates. He's a great man and leader and I hope he can find a worthy pursuit after the primary season ends. He just seems to miss a connecting factor with people. I think he's out of the run for VP too in my opinion, but my idea is for him to eventually become a Senator in Utah.

3. Most awkward Romney moment

4. I'm officially an Obama fan. His optimism and rhetorical skills are amazing and actually inspiring. I agree with most of his political stances. I was initially leaning Hillary until this speech showed a man who had found his voice and gave a vision that resonates with me. I like his lack of baggage and his unifying stance. I could listen to him speak for eight years. I remember the last lanky guy from Illinois with a mole near his nose worked out pretty well. Its worth a try at least, eh?



5 comments:

Luis and Christy said...

You forgot to say that Hillary just plain nails-on-chalkboard when she talks. I feel like she's the brown-nosing little know it all when she speaks... but then again I don't listen to NPR so my 2cents isn't quite as well rounded :)

Renee said...

I agree with you 100%. Seriously, you said most of the thoughts in my head. I'm a little worried today after hearing that Romney pulled out (not that he had a great shot at winning...and not that I was going to vote for him...I'm a big Obama fan). But, the problem is...what if it's McCain v. Hillary?? I might have to pull a Barbara Streisand!

Dora said...

I listened to 10.5 minutes of the speech, until I just couldn't take the intermittent cheering any longer.

Obama symbolizes all that most Americans are hoping for ... positive change, determined optimism, a break from corrupt characters, a harmonious melding of the many disparate peoples here. I like him, I'm just not entirely convinced that he can deliver on his concrete platform promises. Is promise even the right word? Then again, I'm rather skeptical that any of the candidates will be a unifying force in DC.

Ryan said...

I agree with your take on Obama. I don't think he can deliver everything he promises. B Clinton never delivered on health care and was a fair president. Bush never delivered on his foreign policy of limited intervention. There is a fictional showmanship to all this debating and clashing, and I don't think all the promises will come about. I just want someone well spoken and who thinks things through and is a good leader. I think Obama shows the most promise in my opinion. I think hes newness is a good help. probably wont bring about all he promises, but could make things better.

Anonymous said...

You're a hippie Ryan, but I still love you.