Saturday, April 5, 2008

Crash into you

"I was sending an email to a client from my laptop when I spilled the hot chocolate I was drinking, while I was on my cell phone. So you see, officer, it wasn't my fault."

So, I was in a car accident on Wednesday. You know those days that you are SO tired that you have to slap yourself to stay awake while driving. Well, it was one of those days. It didn't help that my car was all warm and cozy from the sunlight and that I was listening to NPR. I could have rolled down the window and played some booty music. But NO, I thought I could handle it.

I was coming upon stopped cars at a stoplight. I blinked. But the blink caught me in a nanosecond of sleep. I opened my eyes.... shocked that the stopped car in front of me was getting way too close. I slammed my foot on the brake..... BUT it wasn't the brake. My foot was on the gas and so I accelerated. I quickly jerked to the right colliding my right front bumper with his back left bumper. Actually it ripped off his whole bumper. Woops. What a nightmare, and not a fun way to wake up.

No one was hurt. Ryan and I get to try to survive on one car until mine gets out of the shop. Thank heavens for car insurance. Note to self and others: Be careful while driving when tired.

10 comments:

Trace Gibson said...

Holy Crap! I'm so glad you're okay...yeah, next time the booty music will surely save you from a close call!

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I've done that blink-sleep thing and thought, "What would happen if I didn't come back out fast enough?" Now I know.

I once woke up driving in the wrong lane on my way to Island Park for a summer job. I blame it on my parents driving me around the block in my car seat so the car's engine could lull me to sleep.

Unknown said...

How scary! I'm glad you're not hurt. What a pain to have to deal with.

Renee said...

Oh Dear!! I'm so glad you're ok. Call me next time you're driving home tired!! Talking on the phone always helps me :) Plus, I'm 3 hours behind, so it'll never be too late! That accelorator/brake mix up will get you every time :)

Luis and Christy said...

Oh my dear Cheyney. Booty music is always the answer -- esp if you start dancing and driving with your booty by your window. NPR claims another victim. Let this be a lesson to us all.

Emily said...

I used to fall asleep on my way to USC all the time. Darn those 8am classes! One of my tricks is finding a song I want to learn all the words to and listen to it over and over again until I've mastered it. I'm really glad you're ok!!

Anonymous said...

Cheyney, I am so sorry about the accident, but glad one of my favorite daughter in laws is okay. It is so easy to fall asleep while driving, marty did it alot when driving home from long trips. Our job was to keep him awake and go 55 and stay alive. Hope car is fixed fast.

Shaun R. said...

I love how Renee suggests replacing one unsafe driving practice (driving while sleepy) with another unsafe practice (driving while talking on the phone) But I guess in comparison I'd rather have the person in the next lane talking than sleeping.

I'm so glad you're ok!

ginny said...

UGH. But hooray that nobody was seriously hurt. I never get tired while driving, just irritable. I'm going to consider that a blessing from now on.

Jared and Laurel said...

Well, it looks like everyone has said something similar to what I wanted to say. Except for this: THAT is a sad story.