Saturday, April 26, 2008

Never Surrender!

Welcome to the South

Today we drove up to Durham to Bennett Place, the site of the largest troop surrender of the Civil War with some friends. This was a special day to be there since it was the anniversary of the surrender negations in 1865. The North Carolina Historic site marked the day with a living history staging of the meeting and negotiations of the Union General William T. Sherman and Confederate General Joseph Johnson.

My other car is a horse

The people who dressed up were totally into it. They wouldn't admit it was 2008 when you talked with them and they would make jokes about the poor condition of our shoes (we had flip flops and sandals on). They were wearing full get up in the hot sun and seemed to be loving playing the parts they played.

Oh yeah, my bayonet right here says Federal rights trump States rights!

I notices that more people dressed up in Union uniforms than Confederate uniforms. Most of them were mature men. They were all really knowledgeable and made historical inside jokes that I didn't really get.


The staging of the surrender occurred in this building and the actors were really into it. Sherman was very commanding in his portrayal. Sherman talked about how he hadn't told his troops of Lincolns assassination but would if the confederate troops did not surrender under his terms. Next to the building there is a marker commemorating the sight and a walking trail around the area. All in all a fun little historical and cultural experience.

7 comments:

Wendy said...

Um, excuse me sir, I think the war you're referring to is actually called The War of Northern Aggression.

Looks like a cool thing to see.

Shaun R. said...

It's nice that their bumper stickers uses the alternate confederate flag that for whatever reason does not have racial connotations. Maybe that's the flag for people believe that the war was just about economic issues.

Civil war reenactment groups can be fun. I had a mission comp who was really into it. Every year his group puts together a ball with dancing from that time period. Lots of fun.

Luis and Christy said...

Cheyney, I went out with one of those reenactors in college. They are a dicey crowd. Believe me that is page in my history book that I am glad to have turned. He also interned at Appomattox... some famous battle thing happened there. Thank the heavens for Colombians.

Renee said...

Hooray!! That reminds me of all of the historical sites we used to visit on family vacations as a kid. Those reenactments can be tons of fun. But can also be just hours of standing in the blazing heat while you can't really hear what anyone is saying. Best to get there for the battle parts. Cannons and bayonettes, and guns, oh my!

courtney said...

so i have this short list of tv shows i'm not allowed to watch because they're so funny to me but always cross some kind of line that makes me feel guilty for laughing at and so i've decided to just opt out. and this post reminds me of one of those shows and how i watched it just last week, and how it was all about the stars of the show getting stuck in a hostage situation in a "pioneer village" where the employees would rather die than break character. it was south park. and it was one of the funniest things ive ever seen. hooray for obsessive hobbyists!

Anonymous said...

That sounded so fun to see, I love visiting civil war sites. I was born in virginia, so consider myself partly southern. But unfortunately did not have time to acquire that great southern accent. I came back to utah when 2 years old, after my dad's 2 year military draft service was over.

Anonymous said...

hey wendy, the south lost so get over it! if you really feel the need to wave the traitor flag, own slaves and act obnoxious, please take that handsome husband of yours and move to another country.