Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Our evening with Obama

Warning: This post is about politics and so if Obama or Democrats aren't your thing you might want to skip it.

Primary time has finally come to North Carolina. One of the bonuses of having NC still in play is campaign visits and rallies being held by the remaining Democratic candidates. We're Barack Obama supporters and were hoping he would hold an event around here. On Friday we found out Obama was going to speak at the UNC basketball stadium in Chapel Hill on Monday and so we got tickets.


I met Cheyn after work and we lined up outside the arena at about 5:00 pm. We waited in line for about and hour and a half. It started raining hard and we got pretty wet. They finally opened up the doors at 6:30 and we ended up sitting in row M up from the half court line. We could have went down on the floor but didn't really want to stand anymore. And then we waited. It added up to about four hours total for Obama to come out. We read the books we brought and watched the arena fill up. They threw t-shirts out and played optimistic and Americana themed pop music as we waited. You know "This is my Country," "Coming to America,""Keep on Rocking in the Free World." They had a cover band perform Motown songs for about an hour. Then they had a prayer and had the pledge of allegiance. Two NC Congressmen spoke. A former UNC basketball player Sam Perkins and a UNC student introduced Senator Obama.



And then Obama finally came out to speak.

Senator Obama talked about why he is running and the goals of his potential presidency. He didn't mention Hillary or refer to her at all in the speech. A couple of digs were taken at McCain's policy proposal for a gas tax vacation this summer instead of a long term solution to the energy crisis. He characterized McCain's run as a third Bush term, which I'm sure we'll head this often till November. Obama talked about wanting to run a campaign that transcends the traditional pettiness and solves the problems of the us "folks."

Here is a clip where he talks about avoiding special interest and what he wants to do:



And here is his summing up where he talks about how the election and campaign is on behalf of us.



Barack Obama is a heck of a speaker. I don't know if his optimism and hope for unity and a transcendent campaign will work out. Like most politicians I don't know if he can live up to his rhetoric. He isn't perfect. I don't even know if he will get elected when he is made the nominee. But I like the optimism and vigor he brings. His message is resonating with a lot of people including myself. He offers change and a fresh alternative to the status quo. Health care, the environment, diplomacy and resolving the conflict in Iraq all seem like they should be at he top of a nominees to do list. I've read his books and he has a gift of communication. I feel like he deserves a shot. I don't know if all his lofty goals will be reached but I think its the Obama's turn and he's a special candidate. So our blog we endorse Obama in 08. And you know maybe he can be the first presidential nominee I (Ryan) vote for that actually gets elected?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

They really played Coming to America? That's awesome.

Looks like a cool event - my brother saw him speak in Boise.

Wendy said...

That's cool you can be part of history. And you got your wife over to your party? Good work.

Ryan said...

I put that warning up there for your Ruth.

Renee said...

Hooray for Obama! Hooray for Ryan and Cheyney!

Luis and Christy said...

Oh man, Ryan I bet you were loving all of the politics. Cheyney, I am glad that you were being a contributing member of my friend list who actually has a clue about politics. Just give me the cliff notes, Che, and I'll believe you!

The Burnah Clan said...

yeah, I hear you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for updating me on obama evening, sounded great. Go obama, anyone but Hillary.