Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Southern Pride

by ryan

My sister sent me a educational video on BBQ in the South (see below) and it got me thinking about how much the South has earned a place in my heart since I moved here a year ago. I miss it when I'm away. It's been fun taking trips to South Carolina, the Appalachians, down to Southern Georgia, and Atlanta to see friends and family.

It's fun exploring a new part of the country and being married to a cute Southerner helps. It's full of history, great people, and a lot of distinct culture (even though a lot of outsiders like myself are moving in).

Here are five quick reasons I love the South (so far)...

1. Chicken Biscuits. So wonderful. Bojangles, Chick-Fillet, Popeye's, and McDonald's all have there distinct taste. I like Bojangles spicy ones the best.


2. This is College football country. The SEC is always so talented and it's fun to check in on UGA or Florida when the Cougars aren't playing. I love being able to get game scores on almost every AM and FM station during the season, regardless of format.


3. BBQ. I don't eat pork or beef but love NC vinegar based BBQ sauce on chicken. I love the sides, especially Hush Puppies and cabbage. Here is the video I mentioned before on BBQ, an excellent primer. It's important around here.

No matter where I live the rest of my life I promise use the term "grill out" appropriately.

4. I love the different use of words down here. I tell you what, If someone doesn't use the words or phrases "fixin," "a couple three times," "done fell out" (aka DFO) "actin' beligerent" "actin' ignorant" "Have a blessed day" "Sir" or "Ma'am", I wouldn't enjoy living here half as much.

5. Civil Rights and Civil War sights. So much history around here. I love reading books and then seeing where they happened. Whether its MLK's stomping grounds or Civil War battle sites like Fort Sumter, you feel like you are on hallowed ground.


7 comments:

Renee said...

I've been fixin' to come down there for a visit a couple three times, but it don't seem to be workin' out. It's got me actin' beligerent. I sure can't wait to get out there for a grill out and eat me some BBQ and Bojangles Chicken Biscuits!! You have a blessed day now, you hear?

Wendy said...

Good blog post, mainly because it mentioned me.

Justin and I too love the chicken bisuit--Chic Fil A is our favorite. I think all baptists eat there for every meal. Truett Cathy and all.

Anonymous said...

Good summary. I like a lot of the same things. Had a chicken biscuit for breakfast today.

My other favorite term is "like to", pronounced "like-ta" or "like-ter", and meaning "likely to".

Sample usage: "If I hadn't ducked just then, that thing was like to kill me!"

ridgeandjenny said...

See, the South is infectuously wonderful and inspiring... I am proud to be a Southerner and will likely live nowhere else during my life. Southerners seem like such caricatures; old fashioned, somewhat irrational, polite, intelligent (more than we receive credit for), and... perfect in our most respectable and enlightened forms. Southern history, for better and worse, has continued for 450 years. Generations of many different colors and origins have grown and inseparably matured into a revered, creolized, culinary, academic, social, and cultural family. Southside!!!

Unknown said...

I need to get down there!

Emily said...

yay! I can't wait to come down and see it for myself!! I'm getting excited!!

Nicole said...

I liked when I visited my friend in Georgia and they had a huge confederate flag painted on one whole wall of the gym at school! So funny. I also liked going to the piggly wig and the grocery checker was like, oh you must be that girl visiting from California. So fun to be in a nosy small town!!