Saturday, October 4, 2008

Greek Islands

Warning: We are still talking about our trip and giving highlights about each place.

by cheyney

This was my favorite part of the trip. It was the only time we got to slow down our pace and leisurely soak in the atmosphere. We didn't go to the well known touristy island, Santorini featured in many movies like Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, but we did go to Lipsi, recommended by Rick Steves. Lipsi was small, quaint and beautiful. I loved the bluer than blue water and white washed buildings.

My favorite was renting scooters and riding them up and down the island. Neither of us have driven scooters before. When we went to rent, she wouldn't let us because of our lack of experience. There was only one other place on the island renting them and so we went pretending that we were experts. We figured out how to start it, but Ryan was having trouble getting it to go. Just as the man was about to change his mind, Ryan put it in full throttle, finally lifted his feet off the ground and we were off. We were pretty much the only ones riding around on the island so it was all ours to enjoy.

From Samos Lipsi Patmos
From Samos Lipsi Patmos

From Samos Lipsi Patmos


Our next island was Patmos, where John wrote Revelations. We went to the supposed cave and saw where John prayed and layed his head. I reread Revelations and it still is over my head. It is cool to see where it was written and the view John had while writing, not bad.

From Samos Lipsi Patmos
From Samos Lipsi Patmos


From Samos Lipsi Patmos

We weren't allowed to take pictures inside.

5 comments:

ridgeandjenny said...

Thank you guys sooooo much for taking us all along on your awesome trip!! We are so happy that ya'll got back safely with some great stories. We can't wait to hear first person all of the funny and inspiring things you came across. I think that when it comes to travel, it's all about the details. Some of those tiny things and individual experiences are the things you hold most dear. And to do them with the person you love most... there are no words.

ridgeandjenny said...

My young traveling friend, I think Brady would make an excellent president. He carries himself very well and, hey!, he now has experience inside the Beltway!!

Wendy said...

I love that you faked to be scooter experts, and love that you didn't die on your scooters! Place where John wrote revelation--how cool! Still over my head too.

Luis and Christy said...

Turkish delight on a moonlit night!

If you have a date in Constantanoble, she'll be waiting in Istanbul...

Even old New York, was once New Amsterdam. Why they change it, I can't say, people just liked it better that way!

Sorry, I have to use my "They Might be Giants" lyric knowledge somewhere!

Renee said...

I think this is the part I was most jealous of...initally, I'm still reading through all of the posts. So amazing. I love the image of Ryan gunning it on the scooter...I can just hear him giggle now (after screaming like a little girl).