Thursday, June 28, 2007

WANTED by the law

Have you had a day when all is smooth sailing and then something comes out of the blue and knocks you down? You are left saying, "Five minutes ago, my life was so good and I didn't even know it!" Well, that experience has recently happened to me (Cheyney) and it has left me owing a ton of money and trying to stay out of jail. YES..... little innocent Cheyney has broken the law.

Los Angeles was, in a way, a harsh city to live in (aside from my drug dealing, gun shooting neighbors). Everywhere you turn, you get another ticket. It doesn't matter if you parked on the wrong side of the street for 5 minutes or forgot to feed your meter for 2 seconds, you will get a ticket. After living in L.A. for a while, one begins to factor tickets into their budget. Well, my last ticket there was for running a stop light. Not a "real" stop light; the ones that flash for you to get on the freeway. It was NOT rush hour and I was the ONLY one getting on. Of course, I got pulled over. Plus, the DMV had not sent me my sticker (all ready paid) for registration.... so $160 later, I thought I had paid my dues.

But no. Two months later a letter found me in Georgia that said they would not accept my check until I gave proof that I was registered. (Two months because my mom's house was my forwarding address and it sat in a pile while we made our way over to Bville). So, I gave proof and sent back the 160 bones. Little did I know that the fee had increased to $556 because it was paid past the due date. So yesterday, my sister called me after checking the mail (it has been on hold at the post office for the last month because my parents are in Russia) and told me there was one from the L.A. court. Of course, she didn't think this was urgent and therefore didn't read it to me for almost a week after receiving it. The letter stated that since I didn't appear in court on my scheduled (unknown) date that my license has been suspended and I have a $300 bail until my fees are paid. If they are not paid by June 16th then my bail money will not be reimbursed!!!!

Yes, ladies and gentlemen. I have unknowingly been driving on a suspended license for 2 weeks and could just as easily be experiencing jail time just like someone whose name rhymes with Laris Filton. My debt has gone to collections which will effect my credit and now I am not allowed to contest with a written declaration because I missed my window of going to court. $856 flushed down the toilet. Fortunately, I have an understanding husband who is now dropping me off at work and even picking me up at 7:30 in the morning. Ahhh, yesterday life was so blissful and carefree!

9 comments:

Emily said...

Oh, Cheyney that's so sad!!!! Send me the name of the mean cop who wrote you the ticket and I will go break some legs. Should we take up a collection? We can have a bake sale in your honor and send you the money.

A similar thing happened to me where I thought two credit cards had been merged but I was wrong (they did consolidate the physical cards, but they still sent two different bills, one of which I never got cause I moved and didn't tell them cause I didn't think they existed anymore)and a scary collections person called me 3 years later and I thought I'd be financially ruined for life all because of something I didn't even realize I was doing wrong. So I feel your pain. You feel like just shouting, "I'm a good person! I swear I'm not a crook!!"

Trace Gibson said...

You have GOT to be making this up! How can they charge and charge out the butthole like that? Surely you can explain how you moved and didn't get your mail and they'll forgive all those silly extra fines, right? Can't they go catch bad guys instead of wasting all this time and energy on paperwork? This is why my husband is in Bagdad fighting REAL bad guys and not a fat, stubborn, doughnut-eating, mean cop giving pointless tickets to innocent sweet nurses. What a joke!

Renee said...

It's LA, of course they can charge you out the butthole like that. And they do! I'm sure I paid at least $2000 in parking tickets there (that's no exaggeration and it doesn't include the two speeding tickets).

Cheyney, I know you're a "bad girl" but try and stay out of the way of the law! I don't want to see you behind bars (though look what it'd do for your boobs!).

Dora said...

I'm sorry. I admit I was chuckling. And I lost it at Laris Filton.

Honey, I'm so sorry about the money, though. That's a tough way to lose so much. The stars must have been against you. Good that Ryan's being understanding. If he gives you a hard time, give him your best Nurse Ratchett glare and remind him who's bringing home the bacon (at least for now).

And ... thanks for the photo. Got it and your note and remembered how happy I am for the both of you!

Anonymous said...

Cheyney--That absolutely sucks! Could they have found just one more way to add on just one more fine?!?! Thanks for sharing it and making me laugh (sorry)!

--Wendy

ginny said...

Heh heh heh. I mean--so sad! Paying $856 for anything sucks--anytime I have to fork out that kind of cash for something that wasn't offered in a variety of colors, I am so depressed, thinking of all the nice things I could have bought instead of my freedom. And I can't believe the cop gave you the ticket for running the meter light--doesn't he have anything better to do, like take unflattering mugshots of drunken faux-celebs like Laris? Those mugshots are the only reason I pay my taxes.

Evan said...

I've soooo been there and done that. Heck, I spent my first year in LA with a suspended license. You should have seen the mad dash to get legal before my first date with Mary... hilarious... and expensive :(

Sorry that the unmerciful law won, but the rest of California still loves you.

Stacy said...

This is soooo terrible and highlights the fact that life is unfair and injustice exists. (I know, I'm in a dark and dramatic space these days). But, at least it's a hilarious story! If you apply for a new job and you have to declare your criminal background, will you have to list this?

Nicole said...

well well, look who I found with just a little bit of stalking! Ha Ha Ha Ha, you can't escape me by moving to the Carolina's! I will always be in your life pal! hey dude, what's going on? I started blogging with Nicole a couple months ago and now I constantly look for people while I'm at work. This is a totally cool way for me to keep in touch with people. (IF YOU WRITE BACK ONCE IN A WHILE, AND UPDATE YOUR BLOG) anyways, I better get back to pretending to work. Oh, Nicole is pregnant with our third now. Pretty cool eh! K, good seeing you two kids. Talk to you soon. Cheyney, take care of my Ryan for me.