Wednesday, July 9, 2008

80's night














While in Vegas, we had an 80's night complete with costumes and dance competition. It made me reminisce about the days of Cindy Lauper, tight rolls, and crimped hair. What a great decade with great movies (Ferris Bueller, Top Gun, Dirty Dancing) and music (Journey, Smiths, and Bangles). I actually wasn't allowed to watch Dirty Dancing in the 80's (because it was rated PG-13 and I was 12 in 1989) but when I finally saw it (my freshman year of college), I loved it. My favorite part is when Baby says to Swayze "You're Wild!" in the car before doing lifts in the river.

I went to 3 different Goodwills looking for an 80's prom dress with big puffy sleeves, gawdy bows and a heart shaped neck line. No luck. I ended up with a neon ACDC shirt, jean vest (with buttons) and leggings. Too bad I couldn't find leg warmers or lace gloves.

Me doing the Roger Rabbit. We also busted out the cabbage patch, running man, robot, and go-go dance.



If I only had bangs, I could have won the big hair award. It was pretty fun dressing up. Now I have my halloween costume ready.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

all I can say is WOW!!! You look EXACTLY how you looked in 1989...Time warp =). Love you and miss you
kisses!

Luis and Christy said...

Please tell me you kept the AC DC shirt!

ridgeandjenny said...

When I read your post, I felt a strange pull at the top right side of my mouth... I ran to the mirror, and sure enough on my face, a full on, sexified, rockin, tubular BILLY IDOL SNARL!!!! I had flashbacks to staring at Tiffany, she smiling back from the album cover, my beloved mall queen awaiting me to become her 10 year old groom... good times.

ginny said...

Um, I chose to be Cyndi Lauper for halloween like 3 years in a row when I was a kid. My costume looked almost exactly like yours except I also had spray-on red and orange color in my hair. My parents rolled their eyes but were grateful I chose CL over Madonna.

My two favorite lines from Dirty Dancing: "Nobody puts Baby in a corner," and "I carried a watermelon."

Renee said...

"I carried a watermellon" might be my all time favorite movie quote. I use it in all kinds of embarassing situations. And Ginny...I was madona for halloween 3 years in a row. I went from material girl to the Starlight punk phase (I know, reverse order, but whatever).

All I have to say is that I LOVE the 80s and I love dressing up. Cheyn, you're costume is fantastic!! Totally authentic and adorable. I wish I could have seen it in person.