Monday, June 2, 2008

Saturday Hiking and Bowling with the Folks

Picture of Salt Lake City from Ensign Peak

We were in Utah this past week and so we will post a bit about that in the next few posts.

This past Saturday Cheyn went up to Cherry Hill and I had time to bond with my parents individually. I went on a little hike up to Ensign Peak with my Dad in the morning. Ensign peak has a great view and is the basis of of the LDS hymn "High on the Mountain Top." The first Mormon Pioneers to reach the Salt Lake Valley hiked this prominent peak shortly after arriving and put up the US flag and a blue and white stripped and starred "Flag of the Kingdom." I am amazed how much Salt Lake is developing right now. It seems to be changing fast with commuter rail, new shops and malls in development everywhere on the East Side. Here is a pictures of my dad on Ensign peak facing the mountain range:

Later that day I went bowling with my Mom at Olympus Lanes, the bowling alley that I used to frequent when I was sluffing (Utah term for cutting class) in high school.

It was fun to see my Mom bowl. After she bowled she would jump up and down and try to steer the bowling ball with her will.





I think it worked. We bowled three games and guess who came out with the high score? In spite of one of the best bowling games of my life, My Mom beat me by two points.


So visitors to our blog, here is a question. Have any of you ever bowled higher than my Mom? Pretty impressive eh?

9 comments:

Renee said...

Fun! I love weekends with the folks. And I have very fond memories of both those places. In fact, is that where you and Cheyney and I went bowling on your honeymoon??

Monica Rich said...

Never. Ever.

I wish I could get my mom to go bowling with me. I think the last time she went was the mid '50s.

Anonymous said...

I am still on cloud nine about my highest bowling score ever "124", when I played Ryan. I win at games very seldom, but considering the thrill of victory, against the agony of defeat ,I take victory! The last time I bowled was 2 years ago at the lindgren sisters weekend,I got the lowest score, but still was fun. I will be ready for a rematch with Ryan and Cheyney next time they come to utah. Bowling is awesome !!!

The Burnah Clan said...

Fun! Utah is great isn't it...

Sara said...

I'm pretty amazing at bowling on the Wii. I've even earned "professional" status.

Wendy said...

Are you kidding me? I bowl 300 like all the time.

Luis and Christy said...

How nice to see a picture of your mom. She is EXACTLY like I pictured her from Cheyney's stories and seeing you. Bowling is always a good time. PS is it a coinsidence that you spell "later" as "latter" when you were in the home of the LATTER Day Saints?

Unknown said...

Renee- Actually it's another great alley, Olympus Lanes.

Christy- Nice catch on later/latter coincidence. The post has been edited. Also at what month can you no longer bowl in a pregnancy?

Unknown said...

Ry-it is hard to believe that you ever "sluffed" class? And, after reading the comments, I went bowling at 7 months pregnant, I believe. Is there something that I don't know? Is Cheyney pregnant?