Monday, June 16, 2008

My first bike ride

I am no Tour de France biker. In fact, my bike has pretty much been on the back porch under a tarp for a whole year. Ryan got up early and took his new mountain bike out for a spin last Saturday. When I finally got up I felt that my bike had been neglected long enough. I thought it would be FUN to go to a "near by" lake. I would like to pretend that I didn't know that it was down a dangerous road with no bike lane and 10 miles away, but I knew and continued. It was freakin' hot and I was without water and cell phone and about to be run over by a semi any minute. Once I reached the point of no return, I kept biking to Christy's house in Creedmoor (over 20 miles away). Cute Christy thought that I was the neighborhood children she appropriately calls Children of the Corn banging on her door, so she refrained from opening it. Thank heavens she finally realized that it was just an idiot that over estimates her abilities and takes little regard for safety. Even though she is great with child, she helped me throw the bike in the back of the jeep, took me home, and jumped in the pool with me.

Dont worry I got chastized by Ryan upon my return. He told co-workers about my adventure and they thought he was talking about one of his patients.

9 comments:

Wendy said...

I love how you added the part about Ryan's co-workers thinking you were a patient. Too funny. So wow, 20 miles--I'm impressed! I'm glad you didn't get hit by a semi.

Hey, we just got Wicked piano book--you'll have to play it when you're here for the play.

Julie said...

I love your picture! I thought you were in a race. Like minds think a like. I took my bike for a "short" spin saturday and can hardly walk 3 days later. :) Bring your bike down here and we will take a "spin" in PTC or Callaway or something! Or if you want come do the PTC triathalon with me in August :) I will be slow so you wouldn't even have to train :)

Luis and Christy said...

That Christy sounds like a saint! Seriously, she was pregnant AND she agreed to swim with you? You have sure made some great friends in your short life!

I would do it again with 3 seconds notice:)

Luis and Christy said...

Oh, and p.s., wasn't it 21.3 miles??? Don't undersell the wildness of that ride!

Anonymous said...

You are a real weekend road warrior! Just like a female lance armstrong. It is fun to discover new talents of my daughter in law.

ridgeandjenny said...

Okay, I have taken the plunge and signed up for this thing, at least so we can comment on your zany, adorable stories and dead sexy husband... can you say, Hetero man crush??? Anyway, I would like to suggest BeaverDam Trails- Falls Lake in Raleigh. If it is the one I think it is, it has about 12 to 15 miles of trails beginner to intermediate to hard. Go for it together after you ask a local shop! Please ask around first so Im not sending you on the Death march. I would hate for ya'll to avoid us on account of hating me for being a fibmouth.

ridgeandjenny said...

I would also like to compliment you on your Axel Merckx pic from last years Tour... You're quite classy Cheyney... you know what the bikenerds like!!

Renee said...

Hilarious! I tried the same thing last month...hottest day of the year, took my beach cruiser out for a little ride. Driving on hills is MUCH different than biking them...on a BEACH CRUISER. I was so embarassed as the high schoolers getting home from school meandered past me as I'm walking my bike up the gigantic hill with sweat pouring down my face. I'm an idiot!

Anonymous said...

I love my silly cheyney-choochoo...That almost beats the time we did squats up east capital blvd in the dead heat of july!