Friday, June 13, 2008

Southern Magnolias




Keeping up with my reputation of posting about trees, I took these pictures of magnolia blossoms on my lunch break today and wanted to share them. Hard to get some good pictures from the ground, but here are three. I enjoy walking past them on my way into the hospital. I read on Wikipedia that magnolia trees came into existence before bees started to pollinate flowers and so they formed with beetle pollination in mind (I guess they eat the petals).

4 comments:

Renee said...

Awww...I LOVE magnolias!! We used to have a tree at my house in DC and I loved when it was in bloom. They always remind me of my time in Virginia.

Luis and Christy said...

I like the leaves of magnolia trees the best. They always look so green and strong -- not like leaves that you can rip off of trees. Good choice of a post.

Wendy said...

Very pretty pics!

Julie said...

Very cool pictures! I didn't know you were a closet botanist or arborist! So cool! I love it! I think Magnolias look great and smell great too! Did you know there are 7+ other magnoila species in the south(none are as pretty though). Although Bigleaf magnolia is pretty cool too: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.missouriplants.com/Whitealt/Magnolia_macrophylla_plant.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.missouriplants.com/Whitealt/Magnolia_macrophylla_page.html&h=499&w=620&sz=85&tbnid=X9w4SInLHqAJ::&tbnh=109&tbnw=136&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmagnolia%2Bmacrophylla&hl=en&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&cd=1